519 Wilcox St: Our home
519 Wilcox St. is an eye-catching one-third acre spot in historic downtown Castle Rock, Colorado. The site encompasses three distinct structures: a converted Victorian home, a classic Carriage House, and a community brewpub space. The Victorian, colloquially known as the Leonard House, is filled with rich historic charm. It is named after the original owners, George & Evelyn Leonard, who purchased the lots in 1875 for $2. The Leonards built the Carriage House in 1887 and the Victorian house in 1902. It is believed the family may have resided in the Carriage House while the Victorian house was under construction.
The property was purchased in 1918 by John & Anna Schweiger. The Schweigers were the owners of the original Happy Canyon Ranch located just east of I-25. When John passed away in 1925, his eldest daughter Rose resided in the house with her husband Lester Tuggle. Lester Tuggle was the first Street & Water Commissioner and the Night Marshal for the town of Castle Rock.
The Leonard House remained a home until 1964 when it became the home of the beloved local icon the “Golden Dobbin” restaurant. The Golden Dobbin was a favorite spot for hungry travelers going between Colorado Springs and Denver. Property ownership changed two more times, becoming the Augustine Grill in 1996. In 2004, the Augustine Grill expanded the dining space with a dining room addition to the original Leonard House.
The Leonard House is a classic example of Victorian architecture complete with intricate detailing on the exterior. The Carriage House is located in the rear corner of the property, facing 6th Street. The original Victorian home and 1887 Carriage House provide Wild Blue Yonder Brewing Company with unarguable charm and appeal.
WBY purchased the property in January 2018 with dreams of building out a community-focused brewpub. The property’s appeal included the expansive outdoor spaces that are perfect to house a beer garden and comfortable outdoor spaces. It’s an ideal spot to have a drink and grab a bite to eat with friends.
WBY History/Owners story
Brothers, Andrew and Dean Wasson, and Andrew’s wife Rachel are the primary owners of Wild Blue Yonder Brewing Company. All three are proud Air Force veterans having all served as active duty Air Force Officers. This common heritage led to the decision to name our venture “Wild Blue Yonder Brewing Company” as a nod to the infamous Air Force fight song. The ownership team also love the song’s and phrase’s message of adventure and conquering the unknown.
Wild Blue Yonder Brewing Company stemmed from a common love of beer, food, community, family, and ubiquitous adventure. As Andrew and Rachel’s family grew, they found it increasingly hard to find locations that had generational appeal with great beer. While balancing professional careers and dreams, Andrew and Rachel conspired with Dean to plan a brewery to solve these problems. While Andrew set his sights on finding the perfect location, Dean seized the opportunity to pursue formal beer and food education. Dean completed the Master Brewers Course from University of California - Davis. Dean put this certificate to use interning at La Cumbre Brewing Company in Albuquerque, New Mexico. This move helped catalyst Dean into production brewing operations at a larger facility in the Denver metro. While working around beer everyday was greatly enjoyable, the work often left Dean hungry. Dean applied and got accepted into culinary school at Johnson & Wales University. Dean excelled in his studies and quickly obtained pastry and baking degrees, stepping his way into business management and brewery management courses. Combining this recent education with Andrew’s perfect location helped solidify the groundwork for Wild Blue Yonder Brewing company.